This Pasta al Forno is rigatoni pasta tossed in a savory meat sauce, then topped with plenty of cheese and baked to perfection. A hearty main course option that’s perfect for feeding a large group.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 35 minutes
For the sauce
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 pounds mild Italian sausage casings removed
- 1/2 cup onion finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic minced
- 24 ounce jar marinara sauce
- 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 16 ounces rigatoni or other short pasta cooked according to package directions in salted water
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9″x13″ pan with cooking spray.
For the sauce
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add the sausage to the pan.
- Cook the sausage for 3-4 minutes, breaking it up into small pieces with a spoon. Add the onion to the pan. Cook for an additional 5 minutes or until sausage is browned and cooked through and onion is softened.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the marinara sauce and tomato sauce to the pan and bring the sauce to a simmer.
- Let the sauce simmer for 5 minutes or until just thickened
- Toss the cooked pasta with the sauce.
- Pour the pasta mixture into the prepared pan and top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake covered for 20 minutes, then uncover and bake for another 15-20 minutes or until pasta is bubbly and cheese is melted and browned.
- Sprinkle with parsley. Let stand for 5 minutes, then serve.