These Fish Tacos are so good that you’ll likely even find seafood haters loving them! You get deliciously seasoned, tender and flaky fish pieces layered over hearty corn tortillas along with the best tacos toppings, and it’s all finished with a rich and creamy fish tacos sauce. It’s such a flavorful and impressive recipe!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground paprika
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (optional, or more to taste)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb tilapia*, cod, or mahi mahi
- 8 corn tortillas**, warmed
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 3 Tbsp chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/3 cup Cotija cheese (optional)
Fish Taco Sauce
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- In a mixing bowl whisk together vegetable oil, lime juice, garlic, chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne and season with salt and pepper to taste (about 3/4 tsp salt 1/4 tsp pepper).
- Place fish into a dish or gallon size resealable bag and pour marinade over fish (if using a bag seal bag and gently move bag around to evenly coat fish with marinade), allow to marinate in mixture 20 minutes (and no longer than 30 minutes).
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat. Brush grill grates with oil and place fish on grill.
- Grill until cooked through, about 3 minutes per side (cook time will vary based on thickness of fish).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place fish on prepared baking sheet. Bake until cooked through, about 10 – 15 minutes (fish should flake easily with a fork).
- Heat a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, drizzle lightly with vegetable oil. Remove fish from marinade and cook in skillet about 3 – 4 minutes per side, until cooked through.
To Make the Sauce
- While the fish is cooking whisk together sour cream, mayonnaise, lime juice, and garlic powder in a small bowl. Season with salt to taste.
To Assemble Tacos
- Break fish into pieces, layer over warm tortillas. Top with cabbage, avocado, cilantro, cheese if using, and fish taco sauce.