PREP TIME: 0 HOURS 10 MINS
TOTAL TIME: 0 HOURS 20 MINS
- 1 plum tomato, finely chopped
- 1/4 c. red onion, minced
- 2 tbsp. jalapeño, minced
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 flour tortillas
- 1/2 c. grated cheddar
- 1/2 c. grated Monterery jack
- 1 tbsp. green onion, sliced, plus more for serving
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large egg
- Diced avocado, for serving
- In a medium bowl, combine tomato, onion, jalapeño, and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tortilla to skillet and top tortilla with both cheeses and green onion. Top with remaining flour tortilla. Cook until the bottom tortilla is golden, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the quesadilla to a cutting board. Using a 3-inch round biscuit or cookie cutter, cut a circle in the center of the tortilla. Remove the circle and set aside. Return tortilla with a hole in it, uncooked side down, to skillet and return to medium heat.
- Pour oil into the center hole in the tortilla and immediately crack an egg into the hole. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook until egg is set, about 3 minutes. Using a spatula, remove the quesadilla to a plate.
- Increase heat to medium and add the cut out circle, uncooked side down. Cook until bottom is golden, about 2 minutes more. Remove to plate with egg tortilla.
- Serve dolloped with pico de gallo and topped with avocado.