Skip to content
- MAKES 10 DOUGHNUTS
- PREPARATION: 20 MINUTES
- FRYING: 6 MINUTES
- DOUGH REST: 240 MINUT
- TOTAL TIME: 275 MINUTES
- 50 g sugar (1/4 cup)
- 190 ml water, lukewarm (3/4 cup)
- 1 tsp active dry yeast or 16g (2 tsp) fresh yeast
- 3 eggs, free range
- 500 g all-purpose flour, plus for dusting (4 cups + 2 tbsp)
- 1 tbsp rum (optional)
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp salt
- 100 g butter, softened at room temperature (1 stick)
- 2 liters vegetable oil (1/2 gal)
RICH VANILLA CREAM
- 80 g vanilla sugar (or vanilla seeds mixed with sugar) (1/2 cup)
- 40 g corn starch (1/3 cup)
- 4 eggs
- 500 ml milk (2 cups)
- 50 g butter (1/2 stick)
TOOLS AND EQUIPEMENT
- STAND MIXER
- SMALL BOWL AND LARGE BOWL
- KITCHEN KNIFE
- PARCHMENT PAPER
- CAST IRON CASSEROLE WITH A LID
- BAKING TRAY
- KITCHEN TOWELS
- CLING FILM
- PREPARE THE DOUGH: Add sugar and yeast to the lukewarm water in a large bowl. Allow it to sit for about 10 minutes or until the yeast starts to bubble. In a small bowl, beat the eggs. Cut the butter on small cubes.TIP: Water temperature should not be above 35°C / 95°F, or it will destroy the yeast.
- PREPARE THE DOUGH: Add flour, eggs, rum and lemon zest to the yeast mixture in a large bowl. Knead well. After about 5 minutes, add the salt. Slowly incorporate the butter cubes and knead well with your hands or in a stand mixer. The dough has to be glossy and smooth.
- DOUGH PROOFING: Cover the bowl with cling film and leave to proof at room temperature for about 2 hours, or until doubled in size. Punch down the dough, then re-cover the bowl. Put in the fridge to chill for 12 – 16 hours or overnight.TIP: The doughnuts will be more delicious and easily digested if you leave them to chill overnight. If you don’t have the time, leave that part out.
- SHAPE THE DOUGH INTO DOUGHNUTS: The next day, take the dough out of the fridge and cut it into 70g pieces. Shape each piece into smooth, tight bun and place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and dusted with flour. Leave plenty of room between the doughnuts to proof. Cover lightly with cling film and leave for about 2 hours, or until about doubled in size.
- FRYING THE DOUGHNUTS: Get a cast iron casserole (we are using the one linked in the tools and equipment section). Fill it up to the halfway point with vegetable oil. Heat the oil to 165 – 175°C / 330 – 350°F. Carefully remove the doughnuts from the baking tray, take care not to deflate them, and put them into the oil. Cover with a lid. Fry for 3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Don’t cover with a lid when you turn the doughnuts around. Remove from the oil and place on a tray lined with paper towels. Set aside to cool before filling.
- RICH VANILLA CREAM: Prepare the vanilla cream. Whisk together vanilla sugar, corn starch, and a pinch of salt in a saucepan. Whisk together milk and eggs in a separate bowl. Add milk mixture to the saucepan. Also, add the butter. Cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil, then lower the heat and cook for one minute. Remove from heat. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing it directly onto the surface of the vanilla cream to prevent a skin from forming. Just before using, whisk until smooth.
- HOMEMADE DOUGHNUTS WITH A RICH VANILLA CREAM: Fill a piping bag with vanilla cream. Roll the doughnuts in sugar and pipe a generous amount of vanilla cream into each doughnut. Eat them right away or store in an airtight tin. Enjoy.