These homemade donuts taste just as good any cake donut you could buy at your local bakery but you can make them at home in just 15 minutes!
Prep Time: 13 minutes
Cook Time: 2 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 1/4 cups (176g) all-purpose flour (scoop and level to measure)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) buttermilk*
- 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp (42g) melted butter
- 3 – 4 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- 1/3 cup (66g) granulated sugar**
- Pour about 1/2-inch oil into a large saute pan or pot and heat over medium heat to 350 – 360 degrees F. (keeping an eye on it as it is heating). Meanwhile prepare donut dough.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Separately whisk together buttermilk and melted butter. Pour buttermilk mixture into flour mixture and using a fork, stir in dry ingredients and mix just until combine (be careful no to over-work dough).
- Gently roll dough into 1/2 Tbsp balls. Once the oil has reached 350 – 360 degrees F, fry about 1/2 the dough balls at a time.
- Fry until just golden brown on bottom, then flip and cook reverse side until golden brown.
- Carefully remove with a spider strainer or metal tongs drain onto a paper towel lined baking sheet.
- Pour 1/3 cup sugar into a dish, roll donuts in sugar. Repeat this process with remaining dough.